Thursday, January 17, 2008

Just so you know

Triathlon training is hard. I went to the pool for the first time in years Tuesday. I managed two laps without stopping--but just barely.

I keep reminding myself, though, that this is the exciting thing about learning a new sport. When I trained for my first marathon, I achieved new goals every week. Five miles, then ten, then twelve, and fifteen...every long run brought a new sense of pride and accomplishment.

That is why I'm training for a triathlon: to achieve a whole new set of goals and prove to myself once again that I can do anything I set my mind to. I can do it!!

If I don't drown first. I know that lifeguard was thinking, "If that jerk goes under and I have to get into that pool in this 40-degree weather..."

4 comments:

Hope said...

Hey, don't sweat it. The swim is the hardest part for many, if not most, triathletes. It'll all come together -- just give it time and you'll find your inner Esther Williams before you know it. ;)

Erin said...

Thanks for the "Esther" plug, Esther! :)

Hope said...

Right on! You really hit the Esther.

Anonymous said...

If you pull and Esther Williams, maybe they'll give you some brownie points for style if the timing is less than you hoped for. ;)