Friday, August 29, 2008

A Little Common Sense

So now that I'm all moved in at my new place in Winter Haven, it's time to get back to running. I'm not working right now (a condition I hope to be very temporary) so I have the luxury of running whenever I want. So I headed out for a little 5-miler the other day around 4 p.m.

There are two large differences between Tallahassee and Winter Haven, two differences that can mean big problems for a runner. There is a lot more pavement and much fewer trees. Those factors, combined with the hot, muggy weather we've been having, made for The Most Miserable Run Ever.

I was moving along just fine for the first two miles -- at a pretty fast pace, actually. Then, just before the 3-mile point, I was done. Parched, hot, sweaty, tired...even sick. The sun was beating me from above and below (bouncing off the pavement) and the park that I was certain would have a water fountain was a disappointment.

I drug myself home and up the stairs to my apartment, only to realize that in my stupor I had gone to the wrong building. This was very disappointing, as the effor to climb the stairs was unbearable. I finally made it to my apartment and dove into a bottle of Gatorade. An hour and a shower later, I was still red-faced.

Like any athlete, I analyzed this experience to determine what went wrong. It didn't take long. By 4 p.m., the temperature had climbed to nearly 100 degrees, and I had nothing to drink. I decided to exercise a little common sense.

So this morning I set out on the same route; this time at 9 a.m. and with an ice-filled bottle of Gatorade in hand. And wouldn't you know it? I finished the 5 miles with no problems! Isn't common sense grand?

No comments: